Ras fish farming refers to regulatory aquaculture system, It involves fresh water exchange from a fish pond for better growth and sustenance of the fish stock. The fish pond uses a biofiltration or other filtration system to reduce ammonia toxicity in the pond.
Types of RAS Fish Farming System.
There are different types of recirculating aquaculture system like outdoor fish tanks, aquariums and Aquaponic system.
Benefits of RAS Fish Farming.
There are many benefits derived from this type of filtration system. They are highly economical, low water requirements, good commercial viability. Other are high fish stocking or density Stocking, intensive culture. The system provides, healthy environment, reduce dependency on huge amount of clean water.
1. Highly economical
2. Low water requirements
4. High stocking
5. Reduce water needs
6. Fast growth
How recirculating aquaculture system works.
The RAS Fish Farming water treatment process starts fish pond. It goes from the tank to the solid filtration system then the biofiltration. From the biofiltration it moves to the CO3 degasser. At the CO2 degasser CO2 is removed. From the degasser it moves through pumping to heating and cooling. Next stage is the fine particle removal, PH level control and disinfection . It moves to oxygenation and back to fish tank.
1. Biofiltration- removal of ammonia, excreted by fish and turned into nitrates.
2. Solid removal- concentrating and flushing the solid waste out of the system.
3. Oxygenation- re- Oxygenate the water to increase dissolved oxygen levels.
4. PH Level. The PH Level is monitored and controlled. Acceptable PH Level for se fish range from 5.0 to 9.0 freshwater.
5. Temperature control. The temperature depends on the type of fish farmed.
Different types require different temperatures.
Tilapia and catfish prefer 24 c, trout and salmon 16c. To regulate temperature some RAS systems use submersible pumps, heaters, chillers.